Overlooking the marsh, high on the hummock, sits Sailors' Cemetery - final resting place for the remains of 118 sailors and marines who served in the U.S. Navy around the time of the Civil War.
Following their tour of duty, the veterans resided at the National Sailors' Home, located on a 6.5 acre farm in the area bordering what is now Rice Road and Fenno Street, in the Beechwood Knoll section of Quincy. Dedication ceremonies of Sailors' Home were held on August 1, 1866. The original purpose of this home was to provide a residence for disabled sailors and marines that had served in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War. The home was funded through private fund raising as well as subsidies from the federal government.
Due to declining numbers of occupants and mismanagement of funds, the home was forced to close its doors around 1930-31. The cemetery is now all that remains of the National Sailors' Home. It has been entrusted to the care of the City of Quincy.